As a board certified pediatrician and sports medicine specialist, I strive to:
- Identify and fix not just current problems, but to discover and address underlying causes that may prevent or reduce impact of future injuries or illnesses
- Collaborate with athletes, families, coaches/instructors and other medical professionals to provide comprehensive and personalized treatment plans
- Provide honest and practical education and recommendations to patients, families and colleagues which allow more informed choices about sports participation, nutrition and long-term health
Growing up in Irvine, CA, I attended Irvine High School before earning a B.S. in Kinesiology at UCLA where I was also a four-year sports writer for the Daily Bruin student newspaper. I then spent seven years in Madison, WI, first completing medical school then was fortunate to spend three additional years of my pediatric residency working in one of the first and foremost pediatric sports medicine programs in the United States. I then returned to California for a one-year sports medicine fellowship with UC San Diego learning from a host of talented and dedicated mentors and colleagues.
In 2008, I fulfilled a lifetime dream by serving as the Medical Team Physician for USA Volleyball and Table Tennis in the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics. I am currently the proud team physician for:
- United States Mens and Womens National Volleyball Teams
- Cal State Fullerton Intercollegiate Athletics
- Chapman University Dance Department
- Orange Lutheran High School
I currently mentor pediatric residents, medical and athletic training students in my office while continuing to speak at local, regional and national conferences on sports medicine topics.
I recently completed a six-year elected term as a member of the Executive Committee for the American Academy of Pediatrics Council on Sports Medicine and Fitness. I have also had the opportunity to write over 20 professional articles, and am the co-author of the Pediatric Sports Medicine: Essentials for Office Evaluation textbook published by SLACK Incorporated in October, 2013.
I am still a dedicated athlete with particular interest in mountain biking when not doing yoga with my wife or coaching (and chasing after) my three children.
To contact me or my office, please click here.